Five Best Plants to Grow Outdoors in Las Vegas
Las Vegas has a desert climate, with hot summers and mild winters. The best plants to grow outdoors in Las Vegas are those that are adapted to this arid environment and can tolerate the high temperatures, low humidity, and low rainfall. Here are some of the best plants to grow outdoors in Las Vegas:
- Desert-adapted trees: Desert willow, palo verde, and mesquite are excellent trees that are well adapted to the desert environment. They provide shade and can help to cool the surrounding area.
- Cacti and succulents: Cacti and succulents are very hardy plants that require very little water and can withstand the high temperatures of Las Vegas. Some popular varieties include agave, aloe vera, and prickly pear cactus.
- Mediterranean plants: Many plants that are native to the Mediterranean region thrive in the Las Vegas climate. These include lavender, rosemary, thyme, and sage.
- Drought-resistant perennials: There are several perennials that are drought-resistant and can thrive in the Las Vegas environment. These include yarrow, salvia, and black-eyed Susan.
- Fruit trees: Fruit trees such as figs, pomegranates, and citrus can grow well in Las Vegas with proper care and irrigation.
It's important to note that when planting in Las Vegas, it's essential to select plants that are adapted to the local climate, have low water requirements, and can withstand the extreme heat. It's also important to choose the right soil type and provide adequate irrigation to ensure that the plants can thrive.